Making ice cream in a bag
Science and food go hand in hand! Need an activity for the kids this summer? Let’s make ice cream in a bag… and eat it too!
What you’ll need:
• 1 pint sized zip lock plastic bag
• 1 gallon sized zip lock plastic bag
• Measuring cups & spoons
• 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
• 1 cup 1% milk
• 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
• ½ cup rock salt
• 5 cups ice cubes
What to do:
1. Wash your hands and clean your cooking area
2. Fill the large bag half full of ice and add rock salt. Seal the bag.
3. Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag and seal it.
4. Place small bag inside of the large bag and seal again carefully.
5. Shake until mixture is ice cream. About 5 minutes.
6. Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open carefully and enjoy!
This is a fun dessert that children will enjoy making. Allow your children to help add ingredients and shake the bag.
Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
• 2 cups frozen dark cherries
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
• 1 cup fat free half & half
1. Blend frozen cherries, vanilla extract, Greek yogurt, and half & half in a large blender.
2. Pour into a baking loaf pan.
3. Cover and press against surface with wax paper and freeze until solid (1-2 hours).
4. Serve and enjoy! Top with a few pitted fresh cherries.