Did you know potatoes are available all year long! One serving of potatoes has 45% of your daily Vitamin C. Potatoes are a good source of fiber to help you stay fuller longer!
Fun Fact - There are over 5,000 different types of potatoes.
- Look for potatoes that are fairly clean and smooth.
- Choose potatoes free from blemishes, sunburn, and decay.
- Avoid potatoes with cuts or bruises.
- If potatoes begin to sprout or shrivel, it’s time to throw them away.
Clean: Wash hands and Surfaces Often
Separate: Don’t Cross-Contaminate
Cook: Cook to Proper Temperatures
Chill: Refrigerate Promptly
Selecting and Preparing Potatoes
- Look for potatoes that are firm and fairly smooth. Avoid potatoes with sprouts, green or dark areas, or wrinkled skin.
- Although they can freeze well as part of a stew or other prepared dish, do not freeze uncooked potatoes.
- Scrub potatoes with a vegetable brush before preparing, then cut out any bad spots, sprouts and green areas.
- If cooking whole, poke a few holes in the skin-steam can make you potato ‘pop’.
- Always store cooked baked potatoes in the refrigerator. Don’t eat potatoes left on the counter overnight as they may be unsafe to eat.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- ¼ lb kielbasa, thinly sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, heat oil. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Blend in milk and continue to stir until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grease a casserole dish. Place 1/3 of the potato slices on the bottom. Add ½ of the onion slices, then ½ of the cabbage and ½ of the sausage in layers over the potatoes. Top with a 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat another layer of each, ending with a layer of potatoes and the remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.