New year, new resolutions. Black-eye peas are traditional New Year’s dish for some people and a healthy way to start the year.
Did You Know?
Black-eye peas are available all year long! Black-eye peas are a good source of Vitamin A and Folate! Black-eye peas also contain high levels of protein.
FUN FACT! Tradition Says to eat black-eye peas on New Year’s Day to bring good luck!
What am I Looking For?
- Look for peas with bright pods that are firm and plump.
- Dried peas shouldn’t be kept for more than a year.
- Wash peas well before use.
- Avoid peas with tough pods or pods that are flimsy.
Quick and Healthy Black-Eyed Peas
- 4 slices turkey bacon (chopped)
- 5 ½ cups black-eyed peas, frozen (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Place a pot over medium high heat and cook bacon for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and allow to cook until the peas are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease 8- or 9-inch square pan.
- Measure corn meal, flour, sugar, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and beat with a fork to combine white and yolk.
- Add egg, oil, and milk to flour mixture. Mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes, until firm to touch or wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Create -a- Flavor Changes:
Buttermilk Corn Bread: Use only 2 teaspoons baking powder and add ¼ teaspoon baking soda. Substitute 1 cup buttermilk for skim milk.
Whole Wheat Corn Bread: Use ½ cup all-purpose flour and ½ cup whole wheat flour.
Corny Corn Bread: Add 1 cup kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned, well drained) with the milk
Cheesy Corn Bread: Add ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese with the milk.
Chili Cheese Corn Bread: Add ½ teaspoon chili powder to the flour mixture. Drain one 4 ounce can chopped green chilies. Add chilies and ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with the milk.
Blueberry Corn Bread: Fold 1 cup blueberries (fresh, frozen, or canned well drained) into the batter.
Corn Bread Muffins: Pour batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees.